E-Mail Me Your Ideas
The "average missionary" required 4-6 months to make the transition from self-centered John or Mary Smith to "turned-out", genuinely-interested-in-others, spiritual Elder or Sister Smith.
It is my opinion, any Elder or Sister who will follow these 21 suggestions will save 3-4 months of this transitional adjustment as he/she begins his/her mission.
1. Read the Book of Mormon
at least 3 times (once during final 30 days).
2. Read the New Testament, Doctrine & Covenants, Pearl of Great Price.
3. Read Marvelous Work & A Wonder, Jesus the Christ, Articles of Faith.
4. Memorize the 1st Discussion (Restoration?) completely (2nd if possible).
5. Pray vocally 10 minutes both morning and night (3 months).
6. Attend 3-4 temple sessions, minimum.
7. Split-off once each week during the last 3-6 months prior.
8. Bear testimony weekly in some way to non-members last 3 months.
9. Slow-down dating, or stop last 30 days (avoid being alone).
10. Learn to control thought process. Expel evil thoughts & acts.
11. Turn off car radios and home stereos last two weeks.
12. Fast (for specifics) twice during last 30 days (not Fast Sunday).
13. Omit sex-oriented, course languaged movies, concerts, dances.
14. Rise at 6:00 a.m. and retire at 10:30 p.m. for 60 days. (D&C 88:124)
15. Study scriptures 1-2 hours for 60 days (6-8).
16. Learn buying, cooking, ironing from Mom.
17. Develop a 10-minute exercise program.
18. Read "The Joseph Smith Story" 4 times.
19. Ask the "Golden Questions" dialy, 30 days
20. Write your personal testimony in 6 copies of the Book of Mormon and give them to non-member friends, relatives, etc.
21. Start your Missionary Journal 30 days prior to departure. Record feelings and events.
3 "KEY" MISSIONARY SCRIPTURES:
2nd Nephi 32:3
"Feast upon the words of Christ; for behold, the words of Christ will tell you all things what ye should do"
"Draw near unto me and I will draw near unto you."
D&C 4:5 (entire section)
"An eye single to the glory of God, qualify him for the work.