Jerbl.com Forum

Not All Who Wander Are Lost

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-11-13 21:09:52

jerbl

Pondering on the Absolute Depravity of the Worst of Humanity

I’m sitting here frustrated, confused, and absolutely shocked at the utter depravity of the worst of humanity. I guess it hasn’t really hit like this before, not like today. I’ll spare the details if you managed to miss the news about one of the absolute worst human beings currently on this planet, but as I try to come to terms with this mortal test that we are all in, I find myself to be a little confused at how shockingly abhorrent mankind can actually be. Granted, this can’t possibly be the worst thing that humanity has done. I don’t have to look farther than the Book of Mormon to know that it can be worse (Moroni 9:9-10). However, some of the things that have gone through my head haven’t been very loving, and so I wonder as I sit here, what can I do to feel Christ’s love for that person?

“And no man knoweth of his ways save it be revealed unto him; wherefore, brethren, despise not the revelations of God.” (Jacob 4:8)

I can’t help but wonder what good can come from trusting the most abhorrent and vile of humans with the ability to impugn the innocence of others. But in that very thought I would sin, because I do not know all of God’s ways. All humans that we can see or know of down here on Earth accepted God’s plan of Happiness, took upon themselves the mortal body, and came here. Each accepted God’s plan in their own way, and each talked with God (I imagine we all did) on what we would do with this body, and how we would do during this test. Therefore, since I do not know what each said or agreed or promised to God, I cannot say that I understand with Eternal clarity why some people here on this earth act the way that they do.

“With the benefit of several years’ experience, Joseph later reflected on the incident, writing, “And thus was this error rooted out, which having its rise in presumption and rash judgement, was the more particularly calculated (when once fairly understood) to teach each and all of us the necessity of humility, and meekness before the Lord, that he might teach us of his ways; that we might walk in his paths, and live by every word which proceedeth forth from his mouth.” (“All Things Must Be Done in Order”, D&C 28, 43, Jeffrey G. Cannon)

Here is where I think I go wrong, in this situation, Oliver thought to guide the hand of God to change a revelation. He wanted to change the words that God himself had given through his messenger. In this thought, he was mistaken, and by acting out in his belief, Oliver had convinced others to think as he. How can I think to know better than God, for then surely there must be a reason that all of us are here, even the most depraved humans, with the most vile acts, even they must have a reason to be here.

“I, Nephi, was desirous also that I might see, and hear, and know of these things, by the power of the Holy Ghost, which is the gift of God unto allthose who diligently seek him, as well in times of old as in the time that he should manifest himself unto the children of men. … For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost” (1 Nephi 10:17,19).

And here is the key, if I want to find out, if I want to discover the knowledge that God has, that for some reason (perhaps my clouded sense of judgement) I cannot understand, then I must seek after the Holy Ghost, who is the way by which all of God’s children can be enlightened. This concept was so important that Nephi told us (at least) twice that we must seek after the Holy Ghost. This wasn’t anything new, Nephi made sure to say, because it had always been this way. God would impart knowledge through the Holy Ghost, if I would do my part in the asking and seeking. In the end, the way to forgiveness, or better said, the way to feel like God feels towards all, including the worst of us, is something that I must seek after, and ask genuinely for. And in my heart, I know this to be the true and only way to do it.

*updated*

Thought I would come back and post this quote that was in my homework, seemed oddly prescient to my earlier thoughts…

“Being in the middle of my college years things can be certainly stressful and I feel like I’ve been through this exact same trial. Sometimes it’s so easy to become bitter towards society and frustrated at even the smallest problems. You start to think that everyone else has a problem and you’re the only sane one around. This depression is so destructive to us and the people around us, and yet it is so prevalent in today’s nonstop world. When I’m in the middle of it I feel like I’m spiraling out of control and collapsing inward. I think that it’s crucial as mentioned in the last comment to ‘slow down’ and look outside of ourselves. That’s how I’ve been able to get through some of the hardest trials I’ve faced in life.”

Originally posted on 2019-03-12

Board footer