Jerbl.com Forum

Not All Who Wander Are Lost

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-11-13 21:06:21

jerbl

No Power Shall Stay My Hand

“At this time your sins are forgiven you, therefore ye receive these things; but remember to sin no more, lest perils shall come upon you … for mine elect hear my voice and harden not their hearts”. (D&C 29:3,7)

In identifying the scriptures that I wanted to put here I was noticing an interesting pattern in the reading this week, one that I wasn’t really ready for, but was certainly in a different vein than last week.  Each week as we partake of the sacrament, we receive a forgiveness of our sins, as we renew our baptismal covenants.  Understanding that but disregarding the full meaning means that the warning comes in full effect, for if we sin again, perils will come.  We must do our best to remain repentant, and sin no more.

[N]o power shall stay my hand”. (D&C 38:33)

The power of Jesus Christ to fulfill his words are absolute, that goes without saying, but there was something very faith building hearing Jesus say it.  Nothing can stay his hand in fulfilling the things that he has promised, which inspires me to fulfill my word to him so that I am on his side.

“I have weighed the matter; I have contemplated … the circumstances in which we may be placed; I have counted the cost, and I am perfectly satisfied to follow you. Yea, it is my desire to do the will of God, come life or come death.” (Sidney Rigdon’s Wife, “Go to the Ohio”, Elizabeth Maki)

I included this one because of the simple testimony of faith and devotion that she expressed.  I falter in my devotion and sometimes in my faith, and the example here of this sister is very inspiring.  I want to be as her, after contemplating, praying, I come to a decision to remain loyal.

“Hearken ye to these words. Behold, I am Jesus Christ, the Savior of the world. Treasure these things up in your hearts, and let the solemnities of eternity rest upon your minds.  Be sober. Keep all my commandments. Even so. Amen.” (D&C 43:34-35)

Tying it all together, we must hearken to his words, through his prophets, through his spirit, however they reach us, we must hearken to them.  He is our brother, our Savior, and our only path back to our Heavenly home.  The invitation that I want to most focus on here is to let the solemnities of eternity rest upon our minds.  What does this mean exactly?  I think it means that as we learn to understand what Eternal Life really is, we start to understand how important and sacred it is, and how it should be the primary thing on our minds.  I fall short in that regard, but I know that reading these scriptures, I can accept Jesus’ invitation to sin no more, trust in his power to do as he has promised, contemplate the real decisions that should be made and commit to them, and treasure the truths that are shared with me in my heart and mind so that I might understand more light and truth and become more like my Heavenly Father.

Originally posted on 2019-03-26

Board footer