Jerbl.com Forum

Not All Who Wander Are Lost

You are not logged in.

#1 2004-10-28 00:34:56

Talduras

Out of curiosity.

How good would you say your skills at drawing animals (real or fantasy) is?

When asked about his opinion of the PS3's competing systems, 360 and Wii, Sony's SCE president, Ken Kutaragi, says:  "We don't care."
Translation:  "We're going to get 0wned this gen."

#2 2004-10-28 14:18:35

Monisawa

Re: Out of curiosity.

Ok, that griffon on your icon....No i'm not that good.  Generally, I feel I can draw any animal I want, as long as I have a reference and a little practice.  Currently I am becoming an expert on CATS...and of course humans, but generally cats.  One mountain at a time.

Why are you asking, got a request or are you just pondering???

If you want a little example of some stuff I do on a wacom with my Oekaki painter.....whenever I have time to do that, you can view some pictures I have done at:
http://jerbl.com/verganol/translation/bbsnote.cgi

but remmember that they are done on the computre 100%  I am a pencil and paper guy.  I am SO much better on concrete paper.

thanks
mike

hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia  (yes this is a real word.)

#3 2004-10-28 21:16:52

Talduras

The short answer really is curiosity.  The long answer... read on if you wish, but you may be confused by the time you finish reading, whether I left something out or whether the reason just doesn't make sense (sometimes I don't make sense even to myself =P ).  Not only that, I think I turned this into a rant (I went back to type this paragraph).  Not to mention this is riddled with notations, emoticons, and parentheses, so this would probably be enough to cause me a headache too.  O_o

Hmm... I really don't know which reason sticks out the most.  I have a total of three, but they're all still wrapped around the word "curiosity."  These also are all closely tied, so that's why it's so complex to figure out.

One:  Because I've taken an interest in animal art lately (fitting, because I've been interested in animals as far back as I can remember).*  Just in case that wasn't clear, that includes fictional animals, which is why I absolutely love it when certain games allow you to control some of those creatures... though I wish Tactics Ogre and FF Tactics didn't have a thing with making dragons flightless, despite wings being visible.  sad

Two:  For the second time since I can remember (and all within this year), I've entertained the thought of drawing something myself.  Not just anything either.  I've written several notes for sentient animal-based races for a story project I'm doing (couldn't find any decent books to read, so I figured I'd make some instead =P ).  Not being able to see any of those visually has been driving me absolutely insane, so it's either wait until I get a manuscript done (I'm still in the planning stages, and only have two paragraphs of the prolouge written, so that's a LONG ways into the future), or draw a sketch myself and go crazy in the process (I have no patience for drawing, and I find no fun in it tongue ).  Either method would require me to invest in a straitjacket (heh heh big_smile ).

Three:  This one kind of ties it all together.  There are certain cliches and quirks that are getting on my nerves in media that are not entirely related to rated content.  This appears in games, books, mov... well, not movies, I guess, since they haven't had much to compare to.  Anyway, it's more to do with weird quirks than anything, like how D&D^ determines its dragons alignment (good, neutral, evil) by color classification (metalic, gem, and chromatic respectively), which kind of seems like organized predjudice (kind of, but not entirely, just because of the way D&D is :-/ ).  Ironically, this is just a minor example.  I could list more that have actually left me depressed because of simple little loopholes.  That list includes Secret of Mana, Chrono Cross, and even Chronicles of Narnia.

On a side note, which is relevant (though just barely), I've seemed to notice that when it comes to art revolving living things, I seem to value personality more than technical prowess.  That explains why I like so many of the cute little anime animals I've seen before, despite how impossible, or pointless, parts of the design would work in real life.

Yeah... it's complex, and this is just a summary.  So it's really just curiosity and a pinch of insanity. wink  Somehow, all that above stuff really does tag along with it.  I don't know why.  I'm my own puzzle.  :?

*even though that statement refers to animal art in general, I've only looked for dragon pictures, and a few related things, though let it be known I don't care for most of the dragon art I've seen (what's on my hard drive was avatar material, but I lost interest in that).  Then again, I do have a wolf calender, a wolf poster, and a plush alaskan husky (if anyone asks, it's a wolf 8) ), so I may just be selective.

^Most of what I know of D&D comes from computer games, such as Baldur's Gate (these are VERY different from the console versions!  They only share setting in common, really).  Additional info relates to writings I've come across

When asked about his opinion of the PS3's competing systems, 360 and Wii, Sony's SCE president, Ken Kutaragi, says:  "We don't care."

#4 2004-10-30 11:02:34

jerbl

Then again, I do have a wolf calender, a wolf poster, and a plush alaskan husky (if anyone asks, it's a wolf 8) ), so I may just be selective.

Its a dog, a very cute dog smile

Anyway, I can understand where you confused him now, that post would confuse the best of us, Mike just so you know, we have been deep in discussion about some of these things, and we have confused ourselves more than not, I think what he is trying to say is that he would like to request help, (simple sketches max probably) but is not sure who he can trust.  We have had long discussions about the power of copyright and getting sued and all that.  Your fireproof safe came up in that conversation smile BTW, I am assuming that you didn't care for that other BBS either, as you didn't reply to my post, SO... I will take it down come monday, if I get around to it wink

#5 2004-10-30 12:25:49

Talduras

Anyway, I can understand where you confused him now, that post would confuse the best of us, Mike just so you know, we have been deep in discussion about some of these things, and we have confused ourselves more than not, I think what he is trying to say is that he would like to request help, (simple sketches max probably) but is not sure who he can trust.  We have had long discussions about the power of copyright and getting sued and all that.  Your fireproof safe came up in that conversation smile BTW, I am assuming that you didn't care for that other BBS either, as you didn't reply to my post, SO... I will take it down come monday, if I get around to it wink

Well, yes and no.  It's not so much an issue of copyrights here (I can trust you guys ^_^ ), but in this case it's one of two things.  First, my notes aren't complete.  What I have in simple visualization I also lack to the point of simplification.  To put it simply, me trying to determine what some of the races look like is like trying to watch a video from TGS or E3... on a bad camera... streamed over the internet... on a 28.8Kbps modem!  :shock:.  The notes that are the closest to completion are the off-shots of dragons and wolves (yeah, go figure =P ).  Everything else is generalized, and usually focuses in on basic character concepts from those races rather than the general races themselves.  Put simply, I'm having a hard time diversifying them.  For instance, describing fur color patterns are lost on me.  If I were to describe a fur pattern in text, I'd have practically no idea what it looked like.  Scale patterns too (just color, though my head would explode trying to actually draw scales).

Second, I'm picky.  That's probably why I can't draw, because I'd probably go for nothing less than photo-realistic quality.  The irony here is I sometimes enjoy simplistic, yet stylish, art that is of an anime-esque quality.  If done right, it just seems to display certain elements to great effect.  Emotion, in particular. big_smile  One reason I probably wouldn't be able to draw well is because I lack abstract thinking severly.  I have a little abstract thinking in some areas (like some of the weapon designs I've come up with, and one of those I might make the weapon of choice for the co-lead).  If any of you know a way for me to change my method of thinking, that might actually benifit me more than anything.  It'd be like flipping a switch on in my brain.  More brain power!  MWAHAHAHA!  :twisted:

Yeah... um... I'm starting to wonder how a simple question got me into a 7-10 paragraph rant.  It's a good thing I love typing.  :oops:

Edit:  The fur/color thing I'm working at, though.  That's why I have a few animal pictures on my hard drive too.  That'll be something I'll have to stumble my way through learning.  Fur is complex.  A wolf poster I have has like 3 or 4 different colors intermingled in the fur pattern.  :?

#6 2005-03-25 23:22:45

Monisawa

Talduras wrote:

Well, yes and no.  It's not so much an issue of copyrights here (I can trust you guys ^_^ ), but in this case it's one of two things.  First, my notes aren't complete.  What I have in simple visualization I also lack to the point of simplification.  To put it simply, me trying to determine what some of the races look like is like trying to watch a video from TGS or E3... on a bad camera... streamed over the internet... on a 28.8Kbps modem!  :shock:.  The notes that are the closest to completion are the off-shots of dragons and wolves (yeah, go figure =P ).  Everything else is generalized, and usually focuses in on basic character concepts from those races rather than the general races themselves.  Put simply, I'm having a hard time diversifying them.  For instance, describing fur color patterns are lost on me.  If I were to describe a fur pattern in text, I'd have practically no idea what it looked like.  Scale patterns too (just color, though my head would explode trying to actually draw scales).

Second, I'm picky.  That's probably why I can't draw, because I'd probably go for nothing less than photo-realistic quality.  The irony here is I sometimes enjoy simplistic, yet stylish, art that is of an anime-esque quality.  If done right, it just seems to display certain elements to great effect.  Emotion, in particular. big_smile  One reason I probably wouldn't be able to draw well is because I lack abstract thinking severly.  I have a little abstract thinking in some areas (like some of the weapon designs I've come up with, and one of those I might make the weapon of choice for the co-lead).  If any of you know a way for me to change my method of thinking, that might actually benifit me more than anything.  It'd be like flipping a switch on in my brain.  More brain power!  MWAHAHAHA!  :twisted:

Yeah... um... I'm starting to wonder how a simple question got me into a 7-10 paragraph rant.  It's a good thing I love typing.  :oops:

Edit:  The fur/color thing I'm working at, though.  That's why I have a few animal pictures on my hard drive too.  That'll be something I'll have to stumble my way through learning.  Fur is complex.  A wolf poster I have has like 3 or 4 different colors intermingled in the fur pattern.  :?

You know, I just realized tha I never replied to this.....well truthfully witht he fur, is that kinda what Saraphim does with her comic that she is doing?  I can't say that I can volunteer my services due to the sheer amount of stress, and lack of time, but I could give hints, or maybe when I get a second, put some ideas up in the oekaki section...  -_o  er' maybe not.  My time is a brick walllll *SLAM!

Everyone has a hard time figuring out the fine details.  It is funny, when I used to write stories, like you and Jeremy, I would create a basic charcter and put him or her through a plot, I am very very plot driven, or at least was.  When I would do that, the very specifics were grim and I could never place a finger on where or what things looked like dealing totally with charcters. 

As you hopefully know, people are driven towards a particular drive.  For me it was puting people that fit into places i imagined, doing the things i wanted them to do.  For others their entire creation revolves around the creation of the charcter and the type of personality they have and how they would reacte TO certain situations...sigh, i like rambling -monologing- about things I love to do....sigh.  I hope this doesn't seem to....uh, overbearing.  i did that to Seraphim..-_- *Grin!  1. I talked so much 2. didn't have enouph time to do any real help or explain concepts, 3. needed more time and less talking and more showing.  Sigh,

Anyway.

hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia  (yes this is a real word.)

Board footer