Jerbl.com Forum

Not All Who Wander Are Lost

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-12-09 01:58:14

jerbl

Reminder to be Humble

John Snodgrass wrote:

At this time of year, as we begin to focus on the savior, I take the time on December 7th to briefly remember something on the far opposite end of the spectrum.  On December 7th, 1941 the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor and brought the United States officially into World War 2.  I can only imagine the feelings that existed in America when this happened.  There must have been fear, anxiety, anger, worry and a host of other negative emotions.  As I imagine all these things that must have been going through their hearts and minds, I reflect on Doctrine and Covenants 121 and 122.  Joseph Smith was going through a hard time as well, and in section 121 we can see his anxiety and worry while he was in Liberty Jail. After a brief reproof in 122:8 "The Son of Man hath descended below them all. Art thou greater than he?" The Lord followed up with what I see as great comfort and encouragement in verse 9 "Thy days are known, and thy years shall not be numbered less; therefore, fear not what man can do, for God shall be with you forever and ever."

For those who find it hard to find the joy during this holiday season, if you feel like you are pushed down under the weight of financial, emotional, physical, or scholastic burdens, please remember that "Thy days are known, and thy years shall not be numbered less".

The Lord showed Nephi that very thing millennia ago when Nephi worried about the planned destruction of his people and the words of the Savior that night to Nephi is what we need to remember and focus on.  3 Nephi 1:13 "Lift up your head and be of good cheer; for behold, the time is at hand, and on this night shall the sign be given, and on the morrow come I into the world,"

And my response:

I *love* that part of Doctrine and Covenants, and I find it hugely insightful that Joseph Smith would include a hugely personal revelation such as this for all of us.  This humanizes Joseph Smith, which I find very insightful, as well as pointing me to the fact that this revelation isn't only for Joseph, but for all of us.  The invitation to remember that none of us are greater than the Savior of all mankind, the only person who took upon himself all of our sins.  This is an invitation from our Father in Heaven to know our place, to be humble, but then a reassurance of the absolute love our Father in Heaven has for all of us, "for God shall be with you forever and ever."  What a beautiful promise to all of us, if we humble our selves and remember that we aren't better than the Savior of all mankind.  Depending on how you look at it, maybe this could be classified as "tough love", and there it is, in our modern scriptures, just waiting for us to read it.  Great stuff!  Thanks for the reminder John.

Best of luck to all of you, just keep at it, and this too shall pass.

Board footer