Jerbl.com Forum

Not All Who Wander Are Lost

You are not logged in.

#51 2005-04-08 15:36:45

lil_red-fox

Re: The ART and ARTIST corner.

after youth conf. last year...summer...I did this T-shirt that said, "I love Nauvoo", on the front, on one sleeve it says, "Mormon boys be cute", on the other sleeve it says, "I love mormon boys!" And on the back it says,"Nauvoo, the home I never lived in." whenever I where that to church, poeple are all "Nauvoo!? Say WHA"?? (except only one person has ever been able to say it correctly, and he was born in the town on the other side of the Mississippi river right ny Nauvoo), and whenever I wear it to church, everybody always loves it! Especially my female leaders for some reason...

This is trunking me out of my mind!

#52 2005-04-08 19:59:34

Monisawa

...very interesting.  Personally, I wouldn't care much for the comments about boys, so basically I wouldn't  wear it.  ^_^

hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia  (yes this is a real word.)

#53 2005-04-08 20:50:10

Lol!  Hey, I like that shirt already.  big_smile I love puff paints.  Oh...do you do any sculpting???

Feel your presence filling up my lungs with oxygen
I take you in - Rebirthing Full, Skillet

#54 2005-05-25 21:03:21

Monisawa

My goodness, how do posts like these, ever make it un-answered?!  Sigh....

Unless of course this question was directed at Lil_red....  I'll answer it anyway:

I have done a little sculpting here and there.  Personally I feel that once you are good in one creative or observative art, everything else comes a given....it's just that you won't be a super expert. -____-  sigh....  SO thats what I am....a little of everything....it is so annoying to focus out a particular area and say I want to master it.  Personally, I feel that I am going to aim to get a degree in Illustration and work at being a freelancer and also to make children's books...greeting cards...perhaps a faint possibility to be a daily comic strip artist.  ^_^

God willing, into whatever the FUTURE MAY BE!!!!!
thats all I have to say.

#55 2005-06-01 00:54:35

Do you know how to do expressions really well? Cuz..I'm sturggling.

#56 2005-07-06 16:46:05

Monisawa

I LOVE to do expressions...but just for general info:  Have you ever tried using a mirror?  I promise it REALLY WORKS!!!

The only problem is that a single line out of place creates a whole another emotional expression.  ^_^  that is why a mirror is useful.   Act out what you think your character should look like and then look at yourself in a mirror.  Though you are not doind a general visual drawing, you are transering over the attributes from your expression.

Break everything down....what makes happy to what it is....angry...sad....frustrated.....break everything down and figure out how they are expressed on your face and what makes the difference.

#57 2005-07-08 12:27:46

Thank-you!  If only my eyes weren't expressionless...whaaa!  Help me, somebody!!  ^_^  But still a good idea.

#58 2005-07-28 12:19:15

This..dundundun.  Took me about four hours to paint...as for drawing it..half an hour..hour..something....I dunno.  At any rate, I'm slow.  BUT I think this is probably the best digital painting I've done.  I don't know how to do realistic fur and probably some of the lighting could be changed...but...well..here it is....

Glimmerplain.jpg

Note: Not full scale.

#59 2005-07-28 12:22:23

Oof..should have added blue light to the coat. oh well...dumb lighting...

#60 2005-07-29 19:14:19

Monisawa

My only complaint is that it is hard to tell the background apart from the character...awfully accented and bright...BUT otherwise, it looks real good! 

I can't believe that it only took you 4 hours to draw that....but after all we have our own talents and abilities that God has given us.  (OR in otherwords, I need to be satisfied at drawing unique good pictures at my own pace.  I have found it is impossible to compare myselves to everyone else.)

Good job!!!
thanks
mike

#61 2005-07-30 01:43:34

Thanks! The face is too long, too.  Would you suggest..darkening it...or..what?

Eh, I'm a speed demon.  I think I grew more of one because I got tired of being in art class and wanted to do my own projects because I was in the class because I liked art but didn't like the projects we had to do.  Plus, I'm mostly self-taught but that's..kind of a bad thing sometimes.  I probably should have added a more feathery look to the wings but I sort of liked them as they were. 

And besides, you're a cool artist!  And don't worry...I'm not satisfied, either. Seems to be human nature. I have this book that I'm going to get from Amazon on how to paint in PhotoShop with my tablet. I've never been good at the medium transfer, so I hope to understand it a little more after that.

Have you read any good books on art?

#62 2005-08-01 17:59:56

Monisawa

The creator of the art is the worst critic....

And for the artbooks....The only book that ever stuck out to me was: Draw the Marvel Comics Super Heroes
by  Klutz....but that was in 8th grade. 

I have learned to not like How to, or art books...I figure that there was only one way to learn and that is experience....I occasionally  use actual artists for some techniques and genre's, but I generallly do not use....if ever, art books.   They have always been difficult and were no help to me....

Though for photoshop I have occaisonallly brushed onto some how to websites, and they have been useful.....

I am not very much help....I feel that all talent and art is created through experience and hard work...but there are many techniques and things that MUST be learned from people who have been spending their whole life doing these kind of things.

-__-   sigh.

Hope that helps
mike

#63 2005-08-01 22:24:13

Thanks and although that's mostly true, I've been trying work with Photoshop since 1998.  I haven't gotten very far.  >_>  I don't teach myself very well when it comes to computer arts. I've pretty much learned it on my own. Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

*Sigh back* Man, art can be depressing.  wink  I really love how you do expressions on oekaki.  ^_^  There are some people I really wish I could draw like but I do avoid a lot of art books because of content. *Puke* So, I can see where one could seriously go wrong.

#64 2005-08-02 16:39:48

Monisawa

Part of the problem that I noticed with the art books, including the questionable content, was that they handed the world to you on a silver platter.....  In other words they drew everything that coud be drawn...and it killed my self esteem.  I used to try how to  books, but I learned very quick that they were worse than a rival artist...BECAUSE:

#1.  They made it look like it was the easiest thing in the world and it would not take ANY TIME AT ALL.
#2.  They always used art supplies that I have never heard of, nor could I ever afford, at the time.

Someone needs to create a serious 'how to' book with Crayola colored pencils, or Prang water colors.  Use everday available items to help teach....NOT SOME STUPID JUNK imported from france...or whatever it is.  And they need to focus on the fact that EVERYTHING TAKES TIME.   (Of course I did this when I was younger.  I don't usuallly ever bother with any books unless it is about chinese-Japanese brush painting or calligraphy.   And even with that I own only one book....and my partents gave it to me; they found it in someone's trash...of which their basement had FLOODED and everything was musty.  Thankfuly the book was okay...BUT I HAVE TOO MUCH TO DO.)
Sigh
mike

#65 2005-08-03 00:43:58

I can understand how they make things look easy and that can be rather frustrating when you get no where. Honestly, as I was thinking today, I'd like to make a book dedicated to art (digital and regular) for LDS peoples. You know, no junk, not necessarily easy or whatever, but simple rules to follow.  I know what you mean about not taking time.  Even if I'm generally quick, that doesn't mean I always like quick unless I'm trying to be uber quick.

However, about art supplies--I can see what you mean there. However, I am a FAN of Prismacolor pencils. I know they are UBER expensive but last for a long time and mannnnn, they are SO good for blending and all that. I honestly love and do better with Prismacolor pencils. They're a lot easier to use than regular colored pencils and because of the stuff they're made out of, you can make it look like you used oil pastels instead of colored pencils.  I don't, however, have to have charcoal imported from France. Charcoal is charcoal.  But too often books that aren't filled with the "regular" stuff don't have that great of stuff to work with.

So I think I might do that someday...I hate how these people just don't go into details and all that stuff. *Sigh*

#66 2005-08-03 17:01:36

Okay, I need suggestions on this moss!!  <No, that's not the whole pic...I'm not done...spent around ten hours on it already...if you need another version with the actual outline, that's fine.>

throughforestspurified13.jpg

I know I haven't added all the shading, water, lilies and all that snazzy stuff...I'm working on the fur.  But..muh...that'll take forever, lol. Anywho.....

Help?

TO SEE THE FULL VERSION:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v128/ … fied13.jpg

#67 2005-08-03 17:37:06

Monisawa

What kind of suggestions???

BTW it looks....great.   I don't think I have ever tried going realistic with a computer program yet, but you did a good job.

hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia&nbsp; (yes this is a real word.)

#68 2005-08-03 18:35:17

Well, I don't know how to make the moss look like it's...um..on the log and stuff.

#69 2005-08-03 21:29:15

Secondly...suggestions on the fur?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v128/ … fied14.jpg

throughforestspurified14.jpg

#70 2005-08-03 21:33:22

Oh, and the Nardain up close....at 100%....

throughforestspurifiedfur14.jpg

#71 2005-08-04 19:52:44

Monisawa

Make the moss on the log?  Do you mean shading?
and
Fur?  The only suggestions that I could offer...most likely...is that you emphasize, from what I can see, the darkness underneath the wolf-thing snout.  With the fur that you have completed..and perhaps you were just getting to it, but...It is hard to tell the neck  from the snout.  I personally would add some darkness to everything around the snout, so that it would stick out....closer, clearer and brigter.

Is that what you mean?  ^_^ you are always vague on what kind of suggestions.
thanks
mike

hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia&nbsp; (yes this is a real word.)

#72 2005-08-05 13:56:37

MMMMMmmmmmoooooooooooooooooo. 

Sorry I'm blatant and subtle.  Yeah, that's what I mean. He looks too old, though, and I don't know how to fix that, either.

#73 2005-08-05 18:56:57

Talduras

Also, if you want a real brain-teaser, here's a good one I've been trying to figure out.  If you want a hand/forepaw structure suited for both walking and grasping objects, how would that be accomplished?  It has been done before (real-life examples being squirrels and racoons, fictional examples being some dragons), but keeping the paw pads seems to complicate this.  The easiest part is actual grip.  If the paw pads have ridges, much like fingerprints, then that part is figured out well enough.

The problem I've run into is keeping this compact enough to suit quadrapedal movement, but not so compact as to ruin the whole grip thing.  To put this in perspective, imagine it holding a sword, and looking like it'd be competent at using it.

When asked about his opinion of the PS3's competing systems, 360 and Wii, Sony's SCE president, Ken Kutaragi, says:  "We don't care."
Translation:  "We're going to get 0wned this gen."

#74 2005-08-05 19:09:16

throughforestspurified16.jpg

Well, I added more trees and am working on the face....

Is this what you mean, Mike?

nbetterw.jpg

#75 2005-08-06 22:12:08

View the WHOLE piccie here:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v128/ … fied21.jpg

Does the grass look lame or..not?  What can I do to make it better?

throughforestspurified21.jpg

Board footer