Jerbl.com Forum

Not All Who Wander Are Lost

You are not logged in.

#26 2005-02-23 19:17:50

Monisawa

Re: The ART and ARTIST corner.

BTW have you ever heard of 'Gesture Drawings'?

hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia  (yes this is a real word.)

#27 2005-02-24 00:31:26

Hey, that makes a lot of sense.......Hmm...I'll try that, though it will probably have to be tomorrow because I happen to....um...forget what I'm saying. Oh, yeah, I'm at a different computer. I'll try it!  Hai!  *Formal bow*

Oooooo....

Um...I think I know how to fix the TigerDeer's ear...and the eye...well...um..it looks glassy.  Is that okay?

Gesture drawings...I do them too much.  Agh! I just...people are so hard to draw if I'm not staring at them, lol.

Feel your presence filling up my lungs with oxygen
I take you in - Rebirthing Full, Skillet

#28 2005-02-24 08:30:52

Monisawa

Seraphim Moonshadow wrote:

Um...I think I know how to fix the TigerDeer's ear...and the eye...well...um..it looks glassy.  Is that okay?

Looking at the tiger, to me it seems the eye is alittle bit glossy, or glassy as you put it.  It kind of stood out in comparison to the crisp brush lines of the fur....and the black stripes.   

The ears only really need emphasizing around it.  As a viewer, the ear would be closer to us, so either the fur around it needs a little darkening, or the ear needs to be lightened.  I can also see you adding a darker outline on the left side of the ear, the rim.  that would bring it out.

Just so you know, the snow looks fine.  There is no exact way to do it and for your style it works.  You generallly have the conept down, snow is just white with light and dark blue, purple and even yellow pastelic shadings.  Sometimes the difficulty is making them a solid color, and establishing snow as a clear entity.  -_-  that is fun.

Gesture drawings...I do them too much.  Agh! I just...people are so hard to draw if I'm not staring at them, lol.

In high school I had a teacher that loved gesture drawings and had us do it all the time.  Ingraned into my earlier life, I can only image what good it does for me. 

It is obvious that you are familiar with the concept, to draw something as fast as you can without looking at what you are drawing.  My teacher said in 7 seconds you should have the entire person mapped out, concerning its position, placement and forms. 

Am I right to asume this information?

If so, then take it a step farther and do it with your drawings.  Try using that concept on laying out your entire picture FIRST before, you begin detail work.  All you need is a sketchy outline so that things like your lamp doesn't look out of wack.  The object that you are gesture drawings, is the picture in your head.  The image that is clearly visioned inside your imagination. 

My teacher told me, and I assume you are familiar, about how when someone draws without a complete layout, will spend hours and hours drawing a perfect eye and a hand and even clothes...but when looked at as a whole, the entire person is a Picaasso peice. 0_o  -_-  o_o  sigh.  This concept is good as it gives you the opportunity to correct something up front, and erase a pencil line, instead of an entire picture fix-up, wondering about placement of objects.

If you watch the animation for my oekakis, you will notice I always layout my picture placements.

Here is an example:
http://www.jerbl.com/verganol/translati … height=250

Though I did not do such a good thorough job on my layout for the pogoda picturex_x, I was rushed,which shows that you can still adjust after the gesture, but doing it that way I can focus on my craft on not what is wrong with the layout...hope this helps.

hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia  (yes this is a real word.)

#29 2005-02-24 13:21:03

Hai.  You see, I started doing gesture drawings so much that I kind of forgot everything else.  Because this is digital art..oh, for the life of me, I can't do gesture drawings.  I can't.  I can't seem to do that.  Although I've gotten better, it's nothing like being able to use a pencil or a bit of charcoal.

I can't...it's hard for me to get the strokes with a tablet.  Perhaps I should simply practice strokes and all those annoying things like shading balls?  tongue

I really do a lot of gesture drawing work.  Only I smudge the pencil too much sometimes.  Ha ha.

I don't know how to do gesture drawings digitally.  I think that's rather sad.

I did this picture.....oh...a year or so ago.  It's really the last major charcoal human drawing I've done.  The hair is...pasty.  (Ewwww, right?) I know it's made up of darks and lights and by doing every strand...it doesn't make it look real.

HPIM1309.jpg

How in the world can you make hair like that better?  I honestly have tried but I fail all the time.  I just don't get it.  >.<

#30 2005-02-24 16:00:33

Monisawa

I haven't used charcoal since my senior year of high school...2-3 years ago.  After graduation,  I have  focused on these: watercolor, acrylics, ink, pencil, colored pencil, crayola markers, and computer paint programs.  And college wise, I have taken... 1 watercolor class and 1 special study, directly with a teacher with subject of my choice(which was gesture drawings and character and object placements^_^  Of which when I first talked to him, he said that what I wanted was basically the figure drawing class....and you know what he said,"The fist time it might shock you, but you will get used to it and it will be like looking at a glass cup...."  AUGH, desensitization to the BRAIN!!!!-BTW he was referring to CLOTHLESS models.)  I also have taken 2 computer graphic coarses, one focusing on Adobe photoshop and the other Adobe....cs I think-whatever the vector program is.

BTW, I love the hair.  I have always had a hard time establishing the tiny individual hair...and creating that sheen.  sigh, so much work.  I haven't drawn people seriously at a EXACT project for a long time...just passing sketches and stuff.

hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia&nbsp; (yes this is a real word.)

#31 2005-02-24 16:42:01

*Spews* Yeah.  So.  I avoided those classes.  It was hard. Like the plague.  So being a teacher is easeir!  Than I don't...aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaggggghhh.  I don't like it!!!!!!!!!  *Beats professors* DIE!!!  Ew, ew, ew, ew, EW!

And it's CS.  I'm sorry I'm so random.

You're not the only one.  What kind of watercolor stuff do you do? 

And thanks for all your help...

I'll see if I can fix that post and post it here...if you want?

You see...yeah...it frightens me.  I want to draw people with CLOTHES!!!  WE LIKE CLOTHES!!!!  >.< 

Wow, that makes me feel violent.  Ew.  tongue

Do you know tips on toning...like..manga?

#32 2005-02-25 11:24:17

jerbl

Couldn't help but notice the direction of this converstation, if you are talking about toning (aka editing) YOU ARE TALKING TO THE MANGA EDITING MASTER!

Just thought I would plug Mike a little.

GO MIKE!

#33 2005-02-25 11:36:02

LOL.  I suppose I'll have to show you my MADD manga skills, then...cuz they tain't so MADD.  Yesss...I'm talking about evil toning!  That and I think...my ink skillz need some serious..whapping.

Agh! MY BRAINS ARE MASHED!

#34 2005-02-25 19:00:55

Monisawa

It all depends on the particular style of toning.  Personally I prefer Nausicaa's style, where it was scarce tone and lots of inking....if I remember correctly it looked like he used a grey watercolor for toning.  Coarse people like kosuke fujishima and akira toriyama have also a great style for their particular toning......another one that is good, but BAD BAD manga is Masamune Shirow.  I watched the edited version of the old Dominion tank police.  That used to be my fav' the manga was good too, but not edited, so i no like....sigh, I m not in that life style anymore...

Now if you want to practice your toning techniques, let me teach you about my Oekaki program!!!!  It can do toning:
It is the second button from the top called TONE.
Click on it and then adjust the size of your brush to whatever feels good and to adjust the darkness and lightness of it, go to the bar that says A down by the color slyders.  If you want an example, here is one I did awhile ago:
http://www.jerbl.com/verganol/translati … height=300

It was a mere trifel at the time...wish I had more time to myself.

#35 2005-02-25 21:51:20

Hmm, well, that was a favor.  So..you prefer inking to toning?

I still don't get it..oh well.

#36 2005-02-25 23:20:52

Monisawa

BTW what I was meaning when I said more time to myself, is that I want a whole lot of time so I can spend as much time as red-fox does...sigh.  I used to have that much time.

Dealing with manga or comics, I believe that you have to have good shapes to establish a charcter.  Too much shading, at times shows the lack in the ability to hone the line correctly....and people think they can sell something just because it is shaded and has scribbled lines -aka just so you know, I am talkind about the 10 million shoujo manga's with dime store plot lines but love...-_- of coarse I am a guy, but come on ^-^  -

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE shading, I LOVE shading, but only if it is done correctly and it needs to support the existance of the character.  For example, if you ever read "Rose is Rose"  The daily comic strip.  The usage of tone can be esentric and demeaning to the actual drawing and it draws away the attention of the focus it is meaning to state.  On the other hand, referring to the no shade policy, Calvin and Hobbes is 100 percent NO SHADING and man what a good job Bill watterson did..  I am sad he retired....10 years ago, I am still annoyed.  The line defines every single action and the darks support and create the atmosphere -_-    there is a reason for everything and a balance in every action...

Finally as I stated earlier, I like the balance of shading in Miyazaki's Nausicaa manga.  It was simple and stated the existance of the charcters.... I will have to show you what I mean... i like simple and the less I have to squint at a picture to understnad what it is the better off it is.   THat is the sighn of a good artist...one that can control lines and defire charcters simply and easily yet uniquely...sigh. 
I babbled again...gosh I don't even think I answered your question.

#37 2005-02-25 23:26:30

Monisawa

Everything is a balance, that creates existance...light and dark....evil and good...too much shading makes it unbalanced

#38 2005-02-25 23:27:29

Monisawa

Sorry I babbled, don't feel annoyed....sigh

#39 2005-02-26 12:03:05

No, you're fine!! Sheesh...that was wonderful to read, silly!  And that is true....Some simple stuff is better.  However, one can have too much  negative space sometimes.  >.<

#40 2005-02-28 17:56:00

Monisawa

If you have a difficulty understanding the tools on Oekaki, I have updated my HELP and How to page:
http://www.jerbl.com/verganol/

For the TONE information on how to use, the page is here:
http://www.jerbl.com/verganol/Maincp.html

#41 2005-02-28 18:01:01

Hooray! My stupidity will be lifted at last!!

#42 2005-03-11 19:40:29

Monisawa

=

By the way, if you bother with this section at all.... I remembered a real good way to randomly try out your TONEing skills that I use:

That is to whenever you are board and you have a little peice of paper, assuming that you carry a pen and a pencil of course, to draw the outline of your charcter or as the finished inked lines would look and then use the pencil with its various gradients to do the tone techniques.   You should see my math and english notebooks ^_^  ...oops did I just write that....couph, couph...I mean my notes are perfectly statatory towords the content of the class....blink blink...

I have never actually used the TONE PAPER things...in fact it looks too much of a bother...cutting, shapping stickerish stuff x_x  ugh.  Dealing with shading, I have always used gradients of grey in paint programs, pencils-regular #2-, watercolor black lightened to grey, and finally just using a pen's line to create the depth.

Such is the pieces  of HUMANTY!!!  All must fall and deminish into utter chaos as ultimate destruction ensues upon the unfortunate inhabitants!!! HAAHAHAAHHhaaa...uh... bye now..
*click*

#43 2005-03-14 22:36:56

Oh...*PRAISE* thou ART THE GOD OF OEKAKI!  *Dies in your power*

#44 2005-03-15 11:28:48

Monisawa

...oookay.

#45 2005-03-15 11:34:34

Lol, sory.  Being dramatic is fun. What I'm saying is....YOU'RE A REALLY GOOD ARTIST!!!!

#46 2005-03-25 23:28:10

Monisawa

oVErlOaD wrote:

Glad to see that you still post here, reminds me of my responsibility to this whole site in general, keep up the good work.  I'm thinking its an alien Lighthouse =^_^=

I was just reposting this.  So i could keep it, I am revamping

#47 2005-03-30 12:03:17

Monisawa wrote:

...oookay.

He shows signs of thinking I'm a kooky artist.  Question: Have you ever made your own t-shirts? (Like, with puff paints.)

#48 2005-03-30 18:41:13

Monisawa

you mean an air brush?

I have desighned a picture with pencil and paper mixed with the computer for my high school's wrestling team, which they were going to print on t-shirt transfers, but the project fell through....though the pic was AWSOME.

I have used an airbrush though, very simple one, but I used it to paint a resin kit.  Very cool tools.

#49 2005-03-30 20:03:09

Monisawa

Lol, sory.  Being dramatic is fun. What I'm saying is....YOU'RE A REALLY GOOD ARTIST!!!!

I wouldn't say I am a good artisit, I would say, as my younger self would cringe in absolute terror, it has taken a lot of HARD work and practice....of course also being equiped with an active, active, right brain and an imagination.

'Course you, Glazermax, and Lil_red are proving exceptionally good yourselves.  I am feeling and basking in your guys glorious pics!!!  Everyone makes the world go ROUND!!!  and I am only a piece, just as you and everyone esle creates a creative world!

Thanks for the comment.
mike

#50 2005-04-07 16:37:15

*Grin* Indeed, that we are.  I tend to be sloppy in oekaki, though. I suppose I'm in some kind of RUSH to finish, y'know?  Meh.

Board footer