Jerbl.com Forum

Not All Who Wander Are Lost

You are not logged in.

#1 2004-10-09 20:27:56

Monisawa

The ART and ARTIST corner.

I feel like this is an advertisement....

Ok, basically I have been drawing for over 10-11 years; though, Successfully drawing 4-5 years.   I am skilled in drawing, painting, lots of computer paint programs, sketching...you name it I have done it at least once.  I am especially skilled in human and anime proportions.

If you are stuck, need suggestions, have writers block, need help or just need to talk to someone about art, thats what this this forumn is for!

Please don't feel shy.  If nobody comes, I will have to create my own situations to get this started.  ANYTHING is welcome! 
thanks

hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia  (yes this is a real word.)

#2 2004-10-09 20:41:36

Monisawa

Re: The ART and ARTIST corner.

Hello, I just found this forumn and I am wondering if you can help me.  I have been drawing a whole lot, I practice all the time at school.  I need suggestions on my picture...I do not need compliments, I need advice.  When people compliment me I get cocky and think I am really good.

My pcitures always look flat and so lifeless...please help.
thanx

#3 2004-10-09 21:22:44

Monisawa

You are doing real good.

First I shall just help you on the basic layout of the human body (look at the picture down below)

-Your facial features on your head were a little off, look at my picture.
-Your body needs practice, I gave you a basic ROUND figure to base your pictures off of.  Break the body into several sections and sketch your idea out before spending a whole lot of time on it.  Also when drawing, try to keep the lines rounder instead of being so flat....then base the clothes off of that round figure. 

Clothes go AROUND the round legs, arms, kneck, chest and so forth.

The biggest thing you need to do is keep practicing and using real people as basic layout references.

Thanks, if you need further help, just ask me.
thnaks big_smile  big_smile  big_smile  big_smile  big_smile

#4 2004-10-15 07:46:56

j-9

Mike, I bet your art teachers absolutely have just LOVED you!

#5 2004-10-16 20:39:29

Monisawa

I don't know about "LOVED"... I just put more effort and work into my art than the average Mr. Joe.  Though my college art teachers, Kim Lindaberry and Jim Smith, weren't sure how to take me... :-s   

Personally I may be an OK artist, but there is 10 million people out there doing the exact same thing and if you want to be someone or even have a career in art, you have to establish your position and be 150% sure of your ability and your art.

Thats why I really enjoy this forumn.  If I had this forumn in some of my difficult times, it would have pushed me through.  I was on a couple mailing lists, but there was no pictures.  It didn't help I did not have a scanner at the time.

So it encourages me to give people a place to show their talent, and get honest responses from people who know what they are doing.  Anyway, so if anyone has any artist friends, I will welcome them on this forumn smile

BTW, this picture, as my family wil remember, is Sayuki.  Sayuki came from Japan several years ago to my cousins house for a summer program and everone went to the beach and she came with. Jeremy and her had a good time talking a little in japanese and I just sat back and @_+ blah blah blah. 

Unfortunatly this picture did not save in good high quality :evil:   Plus the animation did not save I was really mad.  BTW I did this on my OEKAKI BBS:
http://jerbl.com/verganol/translation/bbsnote.cgi

#6 2004-10-17 07:12:32

j-9

Make sure you keep up with it.  I used to have a lot more artistic talent, but when I grew up and got out of school I let them go.  I got too busy with things that I deemed "more important."  They really do go away when you don't use them.  Keep up the good work!

#7 2005-02-19 23:00:37

Hawwwo!  You're a great teacher to yourself.  >.<  Sorry, lol.....

I had........Well, a question.  How do you create better skin tones with digital painting?

Feel your presence filling up my lungs with oxygen
I take you in - Rebirthing Full, Skillet

#8 2005-02-19 23:08:27

Monisawa

Oekaki? Adobe Photoshop? General paint programs???  Any in specific? 
Once known, I could then easily tell the tools aplicable to the situation.  Or if you are just thinking of general terms and things that need explaining, I can do that too.

hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia&nbsp; (yes this is a real word.)

#9 2005-02-19 23:10:18

PhotoShop series...:D General terms, actually.  I've played....but I can't ever get that painted look.  tongue  (I do have other galleris beside WereHollow.)

#10 2005-02-19 23:25:44

Monisawa

I will have to answer next week internet about to shut off

#11 2005-02-19 23:25:55

Monisawa

aughghghg

#12 2005-02-19 23:30:24

*Blinkage* Sure thing!  *Thumbs up* Also....bangs, anime style. Kudasai?

#13 2005-02-21 19:02:34

Monisawa

GENERAL SKIN PICKING:
First, it depends on the mood and lighting of the picture you are coloring.  After that is figured out, you then pick the spectrum that would best support your idea....  Most paint programs have these or something simular : http://www.jerbl.com/verganol/help-00.gif    They can usually be found by either double clicking on your current color or right clicking on the current color  http://www.jerbl.com/verganol/help-01.gif   

Look at the colors and then after picking a general area of liking, then you would try painting your character with it -I promise that most people who draw professionally do not settle on the first color they choose.  So throw up the first colors that come to your mind, and then adjust them later as you discover the entire theme.- 

I cannot tell you everything you can do....I wish I had more time then 5 minutes to explain this complicated issue....but

delving deeper:  To create a tone quality, you could have the original color for the skin selected and go to the spectrum color picker again and pick a darker color -or lighter all depending on the lighting in the picture- and just test and have fun.   Some artists like to use the airbrush at a HUGE ridiculous size -most CG you will find on Japanese sites-  that technique could easily be explained...but I don't know what level of a person you are...so my termanology might not make sense.....in fact this entire post might not make sense

Please tell me which direction - if I was wrong or rather vague- that I can help you.  I take critisizme...really well.  I enjoy intertacting and helping other people.

#14 2005-02-21 21:31:12

Good, but basic.  I do computer animation and I'm also a freelance artist.  tongue It's not necessarily the color or the depth.  For some reason, I can't seem to make it look like skin. I know there are several things you can do, of course.  You can have natural lines, black lines, no lines at all...And you're right, it does depend on the lighting. However, I can say...my lighting skills kinda stink sometimes.  I can deal with light sources...but if there's something like four different light sources, my brain starts to squall. 

I was going to college and my Major was art...but now I'm studying to be a teacher.  Still, I need help.  Although I've always managed to teach myself a lot, I need professionals! big_smile

So let me better phrase my question: How do you create a skin texture in PhotoShop?  I know some smudge, some are cheap and use dodge and burn.....I can do fur...but...I just can't grasp skin. It's just not happening~!

Another question: How do you create realisitc lighting?  What helps you to create better light sources?

Another random question...do you focus on realism or cartoon stuff, etc?

(Sorry for all these questions.  *Sweatdrop*)

If you want something to look at as far as how much I know/do...look here:

http://www.sheezyart.com/view/292779/

(I've been uploading old work today, so just look in the gallery.)

#15 2005-02-22 09:01:21

Monisawa

Deep....very deep... ^_^

I will look into it.  I do not have much time at the moment to do any explaining.

#16 2005-02-22 09:21:55

Monisawa

Seraphim Moonshadow wrote:

Another random question...do you focus on realism or cartoon stuff, etc?

(

Generally I enjoy comicish cartoon, children's book style of art, -to most of my teachers dismay-....but I am also good at realism.   Life is easy to draw when it is right there, so like a copy machine....WHRRRRhrrrr.   Copy is done.  I have been drawing on the computer.....for about ....uh....5-6 yrs.   Generally speaking with art, I have been concious of drawing from age 12, though it hasn't really bloomed since I graduated from high school - my simple comic style that is-.

Generallly for the future, I plan to go on a mission and then come back and major in art.  I love art and hope to go into children's books and some form of comic -not comic books though-  Mostly involved and surrounding children, younger teenagers and children at heart.   -ME!!!-

#17 2005-02-22 09:34:17

Monisawa

Another question: How do you create realisitc lighting?  What helps you to create better light sources?

I hate to say this, but realistic lighting is acquired through variences of hue.  That is not a good sum, but darks and lights create lighting.

I LOVE light and darks, though it is something that is hard to do even for me, but what creates light is the darkness of space and the source of light.  Finding the source of light is the key essential to creating the realistic lighting.  Once the light source is established, how it is cast onto figures and objects is all reallying upon the intensity of the light.

you can see, this is a general answer....perhaps you could give me an example....for all of these. 

As an English teacher would say, "Narrow down your subjects." 

I could go on tell you all the principles of light and color and how they work together...but give me a situation and I can focus down to the very essentials.

For your skin texture, have you tried filling your charcter with a texture and then coloring over it, using layers, and lowering the opacity?  I looked on the internet, because I don't have time to show you, but this is a good example I saw: -NOTE: THIS IS NOT MY ARTWORK AND I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR THE CONTENT ELSWHERE BESIDES THE LINK TO THE EXACT PAGE _Uhem....loud voice over now.-
http://www.tutorialoutpost.com/count/961

This follows with texture.  This is how I interpretted your question on skin texture. I have not done skin this way, I personally love doing it with hues and of course darks and lights....but I have done objects and backgrounds with textures.  its actually quiet cool looking.

To get possible textures, you could actually just take photographs and  pull textures from there.

whoa, I have talked a whole lot.

Generally I don't know what kind of level you are at in Photoshop or any paint program, so I am not sure how deptful I can go....sigh....

#18 2005-02-22 09:45:13

Monisawa

Perhaps if you have a picture someone did and it is exactly the way you want, you can show me and I will interprett it through Photoshopish stuff. 

Have you ever looked into things like "Final Fantasy the Spirits Within? " They use skin textures...of course on 3D people, but it can easily be applied in photoshop too:
http://www.finalfantasy-spiritwithin.com/www/image5.htm

#19 2005-02-22 12:24:49

Hawow, that's a lot to reply to.  First of all, I'd like to start off with showing you an image.  It will help to see what level you think I'm on, lol.

latfs.jpg

And if that's too big, I'll change it...cuz it's just not good penguins, y'know?   

So let's look at my light sources here.  And looking on that, that's...not good because...um...yeah!  Look at the ground!  Lamplight does NOT reach that far, lol.  Sorry.  So.....Be nitpicky.

#20 2005-02-22 12:28:33

Anou, that's a pretty interesting tutorial but the chin bothers me, lol.  I shall have to try that.  Oh..and how do you do snow?  As you see....I just can't do it! No grasping on it whatsoever.  tongue

Yeah...me love FF.  big_smile

tigerdeer.jpg

My lighting ALSO stinks on this.  Like..majorly.  tongue

The fur isn't that great...but I did try.  Suggestions? Help?  Insanity?  Thank you for your time?

#21 2005-02-22 12:32:34

tigerhead.jpg

There's a close up. I can't do teeth either.

Unfortunately, we can't stick dragons under a light source and draw them otherwise it would probably be a lot easier.

Trust me...you can go VERY deep. tongue  I've been working in PhotoShop since '99.  tongue

That tutorial is a pretty good one for basics...

And because I'm here to bug you (sorry) and I know it's all practice, practice, practice........I have trouble doing eyes unless I'm using white charcoal on toned paper, which doesn't exactly make sense but it's the truth.

#22 2005-02-22 17:55:07

Monisawa

Hawow, that's a lot to reply to.  First of all, I'd like to start off with showing you an image.  It will help to see what level you think I'm on, lol.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v128/ … /latfs.jpg

And if that's too big, I'll change it...cuz it's just not good penguins, y'know?   

So let's look at my light sources here.  And looking on that, that's...not good because...um...yeah!  Look at the ground!  Lamplight does NOT reach that far, lol.  Sorry.  So.....Be nitpicky.

Looking at the picture, what comes to my mind, is that there is snow on the ground.  Light is profusely from the light source and the objects it hits, in otherwords the snow, which the light is then reflected off of the snow, causeing that overly filled sensation....and actually looking at it, the background looks like fogish wintery stuff of snow being blown up in the air.  The actual ground is the dark, right around where she is standing and it levels off on a flat plane about her shins height.  Though there is conflicting placement of the lamp and some of the general lighting on the charcter...I.E. shadows that would normally fall from the person..as the fact that the lamp is behind, though it tends to look like the overhanging part reaches  towards the charcter.  I  like the colors and deep hues of the darkness and the sudden accent from the lamp, it creates a central focus and real depth to the picture.

Ya-know what was funny when I saw your site, with that picture, it looked like an acrilyic painting.  Of course there was only the narrow strip of the picture, but it actually looked like a painting to me.

#23 2005-02-22 17:56:08

Monisawa

I will have to answer the rest later....no time no time, no time to talk to say hello, Im late im late Im late.

#24 2005-02-22 19:30:34

Yeah, I'm actually looking at that now and thinking about what I was DOING.  >.< Hmmm. Maybe I should try that again?

#25 2005-02-23 19:08:07

Monisawa

Just glancing casually at the picture...I noticed that if the lamps base was moved from the far mound to parallel with her heals...:
latfs.jpg  Of course this is only a quick suggestion to save you hours of revamping the picture...and it was a sloppy line, but you get the general idea.  If that is done, everything else in the picture will agree, dealing with the lighting.  Meaning that even the shadows on the charcter will look right, since the light is techniquely coming from the front, which is what it looks like anyway.

It could also go in front of the mound.  Test it out and see what you think.  Try your own thing as well...it is only a suggestion.  Thanks for trusting me to answer.  I will answer the rest later.  As usual no time.

Board footer